Defining the Concept

So for the sake of stating the obvious, it began with robots!

We set up mood boards for ourselves to get the right feel and to get everyone on the same page for the project. We wanted to also achieve a good direction of lighting so we could see what were going to be the important shots of the scene. What are the areas that need to be highlighted? What are the areas we can prioritize higher and lower to leave on a contingency plan?

The Character – As we had Damien and Brad dedicated to our character concepts (after deciding on a general look and feel) they each dedicated their focus onto different parts of the character. Damien focused on the exterior panels whilst Brad focused on the interior ‘rigging’ of the character.

The Environment – I had an image in my mind of how the environment was going to look and decided to grey box it out first to get general size and space.

The Repair Arms – Knowing that the repair arms were going to be the main movements / animated moving parts in the scene, I knew that these had to not only look as if they could move correctly but actually move correctly. Also, analysing the purpose of each repair arm affected the design of each arm.

Referencing – We acknowledged that not every idea is original and that referencing different styles was vital to the success of our animated short. In hind site (personally) I didn’t reference enough and link my designs of the repair arms enough to the character. We had a few main inspirational animated shorts to reference such as the Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty trailer and Kara.